5 EFFECTIVE WAYS TO CARE AND CLEAN FAUX FLOWERS AND GREENS
Practical, affordable, and breathtaking, faux flowers are the easiest alternative to real blooms and stems. True to colour and texture, they look exceptionally realistic and fresh throughout.
However, as easy as faux flowers are to maintain, they require thorough cleaning occasionally, to ensure their durability. Crafted from cloth and wires, they are prone to slight wear and tear.
Follow these few steps to ensure they remain pristine and last for seasons to come:
1. Avoid keeping them in direct sunlight – Sunlight will cause the colours of flowers and the stems to fade and crack over time. Keep them indoors, away from direct sunlight to help maintain their colour and natural appeal.
2. Keep them away from high temperatures – Subjecting your artificial foliage to extreme temperatures will cause them to wither and lose their brightness. Avoid putting them on windowsills or any place that is exposed to the temperature outside.
3. Clean them regularly – Keeping them away from dust and dirt will help them retain their shine. Cleaning them daily will ensure they look fresh for long.
4. Store them well – You can wrap the faux flowers individually in paper and store them together in a container. Before storing the flowers, make sure they are clean and dried properly. Be sure to give each stem or flower ample space, so they do not get flattened. Layer them in opposite directions for optimal use of space.
Here are some ways to clean faux flowers and greens:
1. Wash with water and mild soap –You can dunk them in water, put them under the shower or wash them gently with your hands. Avoid using hot water as it may cause the arrangement to erode, lose colour or even break. Rinse with cold or room temperature water and pat dry with a soft towel.
2. Wipe with a microfiber cloth – You can wipe them with a microfiber cloth for the flowers that should not be washed. This method is a little laborious, however, wiping each leaf and petal will remove the stubborn grime and dirt instantly.
3. Gently dust them –For a quick clean, dust them with a feather duster or use a small vacuum cleaner on the low temperature and speed setting so that the plants don’t incur any damage.
4. Clean with dry salt – For more delicate flowers that can’t be washed, the dry salt cleaning method is ideal. For that, you’ll need half a cup of salt and a zip-lock bag. Seal your flowers/stems with the salt in the bag and shake them gently to loosen the dirt. You can also alternate the salt with cornmeal if that is readily available.